Sheffield Castle - Howard (Dukes of Norfolk)
Thomas Howard was the grandson of the Duke of Norfolk who had been beheaded for plotting against Queen Elizabeth.
|Harrison's Survey 1637: Sheffield Archives
The family titles were later restored and Thomas was vested with the title of fourth Duke of Norfolk. Since this time the manor and rights of Sheffield have followed the title of the Dukes of Norfolk, who still hold the estates today.
Although no ground plan of the castle has survived, one of the most precise descriptions of the castle was made by John Harrison in 1637. He was employed by the Earl of Arundel and his wife Alethea, to conduct systematic surveys of their estates at Sheffield, Workshop and elsewhere.
He recorded that the stone castle was bounded by the Rivers Don and Sheaf and surrounded by a "Great Ditch". The castle consisted of an inner court containing offices and lodgings and, to the south, the outer court or fold included barns, stables, lodgings, an armoury and a granary, all of which covered about 4 acres in area.
Across the River Sheaf were orchards, a nursery, hopyard, cockpit and parks, to which better access was gained that same year by the construction of the Sheaf Bridge.
When the estates passed to the Howards, the Lords of the Manor ceased to live in Sheffield. Much of the time the Earl and his wife were abroad.
Sheffield Markets History