Sheffield Markets
* Home *
* Contact Us *
* Markets *
* Latest News *
* History *
* Visit Castle Ruins *
Friday, 9th May 2008
Search for    in    

* South Yorkshire Fresh Produce & Flower Centre
* Castle Market
* The Market Place at Crystal Peaks
* Virtual Market
* Specialist Markets

* Temporary Market Licence
* Stalls Available

* Home Page
* Contact Sheffield Markets

* Next Event *
Sheffield Farmers' Market
start:25th May 2008
The Sheffield Farmers' market is held on one Sunday every month on the Barkers Pool area (outside John Lewis & Sheffield City Hall) of Sheffield City Centre from 10am until 4pm.

* Trader Highlight *
Cosmetics UK
We sell perfume, cosmetics, toiletries & beauty accessories.

*

Sheffield Castle - Talbot (Continued)

A further inventory, this time of all the armour held at Sheffield Castle, was taken on 16th November 1586. Evidence that the armoury was still being maintained up to 1630 is found in bills for arms, armour and equipment.

In 1629 "A notte of Bandlears; for musketts vi setts after 2s - 6d a sett" cost 15 shillings, and in 1630 "lether and nolles and oxle" cost 10 shillings.

Equally, repairs to the castle continued. In November 1598 payments were made to among others. "Henery Richardson" "For mending a chymnye Sd.

Gilbert, the seventh Earl of Shrewsbury, lived mainly at the castle and was the last one to be associated with Sheffield. He died on 8th May 1616 and his property passed to his daughter Alethea Talbot. Ten years earlier, she had married Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel and Surrey, and so the Sheffield estates were absorbed, by marriage, into the property of the House of Howard.

The seventh Earl of Shrewsbury's will gives an idea of the amount of gold and silver at Sheffield Castle at the time. Among the legacies were two gold cups for the King and Queen worth 200 each and fourteen gold cups worth 100 each for his children, grandchildren, executives etc.

Sheffield Markets HistorySheffield Markets History

Sheffield Markets


© Sheffield Markets