Sheffield Castle - Waltheof
In 1066 when William, Duke of Normandy, invaded England, the manor of Hallam was owned by Waltheof, the Anglo-Saxon Earl of Northumberland. His father was Siward, who, as Earl of Northumberland before him, had defeated Macbeth at the battle of Dunsinane in 1054.
|Waltheof Coat of Arms: Local Studies
It appears that the neighbouring manors of Sheffield and Attercliffe were held by another Anglo-Saxon lord, Suuen (more commonly spelled Swein), around this time.
The relationship between the three manors is unclear. The Domesday Book (1086) refers to Attercliffe and Sheffield as follows:
"This land is said to have been inland in Hallun";
implying a tradition that the manors had previously formed part of the manor of Hallam. It is possible that Waltheof came to acquire all three manors.
The Domesday Book also makes reference to Waltheof having a hall (an Aula) in Hallam. A number of possible sites around Sheffield have been suggested, but its exact location if still unknown.
In 1075 Waltheof, Ralph de Waer and other nobles plotted to drive William from the Kingdom. The plan failed and, according the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, Waltheof escaped overseas but later chose to return. He was captured and beheaded at Winchester in 1076. He was the only Englishman William ever executed. His body was buried in the Abbey of Crowland, Lincolnshire.
At his death, the possession of the Manor of Hallam was allowed to pass to his widow, Countess Judith, niece to William the Conqueror, with Roger the Busli as the principal tenant.
Sheffield Markets History