Sheffield Markets History - Introduction
In 1296 a charter to hold markets and fairs in Sheffield was granted by Edward 1 to Thomas de Furnival, Lord of the Manor of Sheffield.
|John Donnelly - Castlefolds Market; circa 1902: Local Studies
There then followed a period of over 600 years when the markets were owned, operated and developed by the lords of the manor. For over half that period the lordship of the manor was based at Sheffield Castle until its demolition following the English Civil War.
Sheffield Corporation purchased the markets and rights in 1899 from the then lord, Henry, 15th Duke of Norfolk, for the not inconsiderable sum of £526,000. Since that time the markets have remained the property of Sheffield City Council.
1996 marks the 700th anniversary of the granting of the charter and it is a timely coincidence that the City Council chose this year to announce plans for the major redevelopment of Castlegate Markets in the City Centre.
This booklet has been produced as part of the anniversary celebrations. It describes the relationship between the lords of the manor, the castle and the history of the markets as well as the important role that markets have played and continue to play in the development of the City.
A number of sources have been in order to compile this booklet, principally the records of the Duke of Norfolk's Sheffield Estate, now held at Sheffield Archives, from where more detailed information (including references and authorities) is available.
Sheffield Markets History